Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My Recent Creation

Hello! I know I haven't blogged anything since my finishes, but I haven't been feeling well. I have had a headache for three days that just won't quit. I guess I need to just deal with it and get up and sew. I may do that later today. I'm tired of sitting in my recliner all day with my head covered up. We changed allergy medicine because I told hubby I might need a change, but nope. Not a good idea. My head is giving me fits. I think it is sinus issues. So back to generic Claritin it will be. I wanted to share with you the handbag I made for my daughter for a late birthday/ Mother's Day gift. I have had a lot of compliments on Facebook on my purse, and it makes me feel good. :D I added photos to show you the process I went through, somewhat, while making it.  So, here goes:  I purchased the outside fabric from Hobby Lobby. It is by Brother and Sister Designers. I really like how it looks on this bag. The pattern for the purse is Margo Bag by Lazy Girl Designs. They have several different styles of handbags.




This is all pieces laid out to begin. The pattern is on the left. Lazy Girl Designs: Margo Bag
 Beside the pattern to the right, you see my outside and inside of pocket fabrics I will use. To the right of that is the fabric I used for the pockets. The lining is the black with white version of the pocket fabric.

This is the outside pocket for the handbag
To make this part of the bag, the pattern included a template drawing for the cut out for the pocket. (The area where it comes down from the top to the sides of the pocket piece).

This is the inside pocket lining for the bag. As you can see, the outside pocket fabric is underneath here. I sewed the two pieces together and then top-stitched along the top of the pocket area.

This is the back of the handbag. 

This is the strap. It called for batting and interfacing. I used Pellon interfacing and some fleece type material for the batting. I folded over 1/2 in. of the fabric over, then pressed the fusible interfacing to the batting and folder over until I have approximately 1/2" left and then folded under the fabric to hide the raw edge and pressed.

The Strap when top stitching on each side then in the middle to secure. Note: I made the strap 30" instead of the called for 25" in the pattern. I know my daughter and I both like longer straps.

Inside of finished bag The pockets are on both sides of the purse and totals  about ten pockets.


Zipper area of the finished purse.

Finished purse on the front.

Back of handbag.



I love this fabric! What about you? I am very pleased with how it turned out. 

I have to be honest. I usually have so much trouble putting in zippers in handbags. This one is the easiest I have ever put in. I will definitely make this purse again. I need to make myself one. LOL I know she will enjoy this one. Thank you for sharing this time with me. 


NOTE: No payment was received by me for this post or giving credit to Lazy Girl Designs. I purchased the pattern and made the bag myself. I changed the length of the straps for my daughter without input from Lazy Girl Designs. 


Have a blessed day!
Teresa

5 comments:

  1. Your bag is gorgeous! Loving the fabric! I wish I could make bags like this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy! It is the first one I've made like this. If I can do it, you can, too!

      Delete
  2. Your bag looks great. Love the pattern. The zip looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking good! Lazy Girl has some excellent pattern for purses. I used to have a Towne purse that I loved----till the zipper went out, that is. Mom tried to help me replace it but it would have been easier just to have made a new one. Maybe in my free time, LOL. That's a joke!

    Darned headache. If it is sinuses you are probably in good company round here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sew sew pretty. I am sure Jen will love it......

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love your comments! So, please chat with me when you visit!