Saturday, September 29, 2012

Breast Cancer Rag Quilt

I have told you in an earlier post about making a rag quilt for my daughter to raffle off for Making Strides for cancer. I have now finished it all but the clipping and washing it. I want to share with you some pictures of the progress. Below you will see four pictures. I cut all my squares six inches by six inches. You can see some of the beautiful pinks I used. This is not all of them. I then cut my batting into 4.5 x 4.5" squares and placed them between the backing square and the top square. Some of my backing is white flannel, but I ran out of that and used various pink squares. I was blessed by donations from Leslie Lackey, Gene Black, and Nancy Asplund. Gene donated pink fabric, but also, donated my new favorite batting Warm and Natural 100% cotton. Also, I won the pink ribbons that are appliqued onto light pink squares on each corner from Bonni Feltz. Thanks to each of you who contributed to this quilt.

After cutting all the squares and layering them with batting in the center, I sewed an "X" on each square. That is all the quilting this type of quilt gets. If you look closely at the lower pictures, you will see the "X" in some of the squares. Once I did that, I laid the squares on my bed and decided on the arrangement that I wanted to use. Now, I can tell you this, that is the hardest part for me. My DH designed it and helped me figure out how to put the breast cancer ribbon (or something that was similar) in the center of the quilt using the darker pink squares. Once I decided on the arrangement, I started sewing. I did my best to put lighter to darker from inside to out of the squares except for the ribbon. When I got to the last couple of rows, I did it differently. I have pictures below that show the finished product, at least as much as I could get into the picture, except for the clipping and washing. I will post another picture when that is finished.

I pray that someone will either want to purchase this for a good price and then the money will be donated to my daughter's Ocala Moms group who is walking in the Making Strides walk in Ocala, Florida. Let me know what you think!

Blessings to you,
Teresa






Can you see the ribbon?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love your comments! So, please chat with me when you visit!